Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The "LGN" Workout

      Whether you are getting ready to go to a friend's wedding or you are going to be the bride, we all want to look great in our slim new dress, or for the honeymoon.  Spring is finally here and that means bikini season is just around the corner.  I think we all love it as much as we dread it.  We all make New Year's resolutions to slim down for it, but the key is sticking to it.  In order to do that you have to find a work out that works for you.  Slimming down doesn't have to mean slaving at the gym five days a week for hours on end.  And let's face it, not all of us were born to be marathon runners.  So here are 5 fun and different ways to work out.

#1 ZUMBA:
One of my number one favorite ways to shed a few pounds.  Zumba is on the rise with classes being offered all around the city of Lexington.  If you love to dance and shake it, attend one of these Zumba classes.  They keep you constantly moving and in return you burn a lot of calories. If you are shy don't be afraid to attend, there are usually women of all ages. It's fun, it's fast, and it's sweaty so don't forget that bottle of water. Here is a link to classes around Lexington: http://www.zumba.com/parties/search/search:1/address:Lexington+ky/distance:25/unit:m

#2 Nintendo Wii, Xbox Kinect, Playstation Move: Usually when someone says video games, girls cringe because all they can think about are the hours a certain boyfriend spent mesmerized in front of the television screen.  However, recently video games have been marketed to women.  These new video game systems have interactive work out games.  Personally I have only used the Wii fit but it was extremely fun.  They actually even have a Zumba game that I have had my eye on for quite some time now.  These new games will keep your workout exciting.

#3 Hiking: Hiking is another fun way to get some exercise.  Now that the weather is finally beautiful, it would be nice to get some fresh air.  You can even get your significant other off the couch and get them in on the action.  Locally we have Raven Run, and not too far away we have other state parks that offer miles of trails.  Even Veteran's Park, in one of the local neighborhoods, offers trails where dogs are welcome.  Get out and enjoy that sunshine.  Maybe you will even get a little tan while you are at it.



#4 Kickboxing: One of my friends talked me into taking a kickboxing class with her in a previous summer.  I was hesitant at first because when I thought of kickboxing it made me think of The Karate Kid.  When we got there they wrapped our hands in tape.  By then I think I was looking at my friend like "what is going on."  I have never been so sore in my life.  After that class I knew I had gotten a great work out.  Kickboxing is said to burn 350 to 450 calories in an hour!  I'm not sure that I did a single thing right the whole evening, and I'm pretty sure that the big buff guys taking the class, thought that my five foot version of punching the punching bag was adorable, but it was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again.

#5 Swimming Laps: Now I can't swim a lap for the life of me.  My boyfriend tried to teach me the correct way to swim but all that knowledge I learned in swimming lessons seems to have left me completely.  However, the few times that I have gone to the pool to swim I have left feeling so skinny.  I know that the effects are not instant or anything but it makes me feel so good about myself.  Swimming also has low impact on your knees and shins, and is a good alternative to running.  In half an hour, if you swim a mile, you can burn 900 calories!  That's enough right now for me to go grab my swimsuit and get to it.

Hopefully one of these ways will be enough to to get you up and newly motivated.  Now your only question is what does LGN stand for?  Well to find out you'll have to ask me in person!

~Ashley

4 comments:

  1. I would like to tell that I too have recently hired a firm called 7vachan who is helping me a lot in planning all my weddings.
    Luxury Indian Wedding Venues & Accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these Helpful tips.
    To make your special day more special contact Bina Punjani, best bridal makeup artist in Goa.

    ReplyDelete